Soviet furniture often has a good enough quality to serve its owners for years. Throw it away only because the interior has become old-fashioned or tired. Many items are made of natural wood, and could still perform their functions for a long time, but this design! Correct the appearance of a grandmother's dresser or mom's wall, getting something really interesting.
There are several effective techniques that will completely change the appearance of the Soviet headset and allow it to serve more. Choose one thing, or combine them all.
Repair and preparation for alteration
If the table or chest of drawers you received was not particularly popular, its design can be left unchanged. After all, it will not necessarily be the furniture, which has become dirty, and in combination with the modern situation it will be quite appropriate to look. But it is unlikely to be able to do without repair work. Over time, the furniture cracks, and some parts will have to be re-customized for each other.
Be sure to pay attention to the following operations:
- Cleaning furniture from dirt, dust and soot (pay special attention to the corners);
- preventive lubrication of locks;
- fitting parts (if the furniture is cracked or warped during transport);
- grinding and puttying of damaged surfaces;
- furniture fittings change
In some cases, restoration of damaged surfaces and thorough repairs will suffice. If you decide to completely change the appearance of a particular object, this stage will be preparatory.
Restoration of damaged coatings or applying a new varnish
The least radical method of alteration, which borders on the restoration. You can slightly update the damaged coating, or completely change the type of furniture. It all depends on the type of varnish and processing methods.
It is most appropriate to use in cases where the restoration gets furniture made of good wood. Classic design, which will be appropriate in any interior, needs a delicate attitude.
Some useful tips:
- The easiest way to use oil-based varnish, it was they who processed old furniture. In some cases, you can do without removing the old layers.
- Apply lacquer with a sponge, not a brush, so you prevent the formation of stains and lint on the surface.
- Dry each layer for at least 12 hours.
- If you want to completely change the appearance of the furniture, use a two-component craquelure varnish. It creates a cracking effect on the surface, and will make the furniture look like antique.
Some pieces of furniture should not be radically redone. It is enough to restore the old layer of lacquer and slightly restore the accessories.
Craquel varnish is perfectly combined with painting, decorative painting and decoupage.
Painting of old furniture
Choose this technique if you want to completely change the design. Anyway, but the furniture from a natural tree can look slightly bulky and heavy. And if for a spacious office it can be a plus, then in a small apartment you want lightness and air. Make the design more democratic help repainting.
Some useful tips:
- Use this kind of rework and, where the wood is heavily damaged, or it is about cheap wood species.
- Be sure to remove from the surface of the old coating.
- Sand the wood thoroughly, then apply the putty and a coat of primer. So you significantly reduce paint consumption and achieve better results.
- After applying the first layer of paint, dry the furniture and walk on it with a sander and emery paper. This process may seem a little effective, because a significant part of the paint will be removed. But when re-coloring you will achieve the perfect result.
- It is simpler to work with opaque paints, they hide surface defects better.
- Use an art list or ready-made templates to put interesting drawings.
- Combine painted parts with natural wood.
Light shades and laconic fittings will make furniture more democratic.
White color and weightless accessories completely transformed the old chest of drawers.
Plain paint that hides the texture of wood, looks easy and modern.
In some cases, the light background works well in combination with contrasting fittings.
Bright accents are well applied with masking tape.
As a stencil for applying paint, you can use an old curtain with an ornament.
Another option "lace" painting.
Master the technique of decoupage
This type of decoration has long been adopted by needlewomen. But why not apply it on a more serious scale? Use ready-made images, and apply them on a painted or sanded surface.
Some useful tips:
- Be sure to prime the surface before sticking images onto it.
- As a material, use any drawings printed on thin paper, napkins or even newspaper cuttings.
- Thick paper should be soaked in water or solution for decoupage before sticking;
- Do not limit surface treatment with glue. After drying the decoupage coating, cover the furniture with durable varnish.
Decoupage works great in combination with matte paint.
Large drawing can be printed on thin paper.
Decoupage in combination with craquelure varnish and painting.
Replace parts with more modern ones.
Replace the upholstery of old chairs using a new, more technological fabric. Completely change the fittings, or even add panels of modern materials. In the end, glue the surface of the furniture film. When you have nothing to lose, the result may surprise you!
Mirror surfaces are able to transform any furniture.
Film in combination with metallic paint.
Choosing a film for processing, give preference to quality material. It will last longer, and give the furniture a decent look.